South Meridian Church of God is a church on a mission! This mission springs from the love of God that we have experienced in the person of Jesus Christ. Our mission brings us together in worship and fellowship, in classes and small groups, in gatherings of children, students and adults; it sends us in service beyond the walls of the church to our neighborhood and beyond. More than anything we want you to know that you are WELCOME! So, thanks for checking us out. We hope to see you soon!
Welcome 2 South +
- If you are new to South Meridian, please know that we are grateful to welcome you! Whatever the circumstances that have led you to join us, we consider it a great honor to be part of your spiritual journey. We hope that South Meridian is a place where you will find meaningful worship, good friendships and opportunities to use your gifts in service. We know that it is risky to visit a church, so thank you for taking that chance with us!
Welcome 2 South Luncheon Digging Deeper Sunday School Class
Children & Youth +
- Sunday Mornings - There is a nursery available for children ages birth to three. All other children come to the first half of the worship service. Children from age four through second grade are dismissed about halfway through the service to attend "Our Father's House," a time of worship geared for children with singing, Bible stories and other fun activities. Crayons and coloring pages are available near the entryways of our sanctuary for young children.
- Open Door Tutoring - Open to all children K-5th grade. The purpose of Open Door is to love kids in our neighborhood and church through providing academic, social and spiritual skills to help children thrive and succeed in life, giving glory to God. (This program runs during the school year)
- Sunday Mornings - Our focus this year is on covering different books of the Bible. We discuss the events within the text and how those apply to our lives. We do this by examining and exploring the Bible through various resources (media, music, scripture and discussion).
- Wednesdays - Our young students gather together for a group game, worship and a lesson. Sometime they will split into small groups, formed according to gender or age, to go deeper into the lesson. We do multi-week lessons on different topics.
Opportunities for Growth +
- Adult Sunday School
- Joining a Sunday School class is an ideal way to grow in your faith and understanding. In Sunday School we study Scripture, learn how to apply Scripture to our lives & spur each other on toward living out our Christian faith. At South Meridian our classes are always open and our member are always eager to welcome new faces. Attending is easy. There is nothing you need to know about the Bible beforehand. You won’t be put on the spot to read or answer questions. Just show up and enjoy the fellowship!
- Bible Studies & More
- Connecting the Dots Bible Study
- Brothers of the Trough
- Christian Women Connection (CWC)
- Friday Morning Women's Bible Study
- Women's Nutrition & Wellness
THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE +
A lot of different things can happen, but here are the most common things:
- Singing/Music - We believe that one of the main reasons God gave us singing voices was for using them in worship. We believe that music communicates more than mere words. We love to sing together, praising God with our whole hearts.
- Prayer - We pray as a community each Sunday morning at South. Many prayers are offered as we worship. There are often times for individuals to come to the front of our sanctuary and offer silent prayers. There are also times to come and be prayed for by someone else, whether for asking Jesus to become Lord of your life, for healing or for a host of other reasons. At the end of the service there is always a time to respond to God by coming forward, kneeling or sitting on the first row of chairs.
- Scripture Reading - We are committed to scripture, God's written word, at South. We regularly read scripture together aloud and/or listen as others read. We believe that scripture is one of the main ways that God communicates with us. In worship we listen and hear the word of God together. When we are not together, we let God speak to us as we lean on His word from day to day.
- Message - We listen to a message each Sunday. Although Pastor Ed preaches the majority of the time, a variety of other voices, both male and female, speak during our Sunday services. The sermons we hear are scripture-based. The style is casual and personal. We listen to the message as it is preached, asking God to reform our ways of thinking, making us more like Christ Jesus.
- Giving - We have a time of giving each week. We believe it is imperative that we as Christians give back to God, in an act of trust, a portion of the wealth He gives us. These gifts are carefully used to spread the love of God in many God-honoring ways in our neighborhood and around the world.
- Communion - We have communion once a month. Communion is a time when we re-enact both the very special meal that Jesus had with his disciples just before he died on the cross and the many meals he shared with all—disciples, friends, and outcasts. Jesus was greatly criticized because of his association with all kinds of people. When we have communion we remember his death for us on the cross and his great mercy and love for those who are lost. During communion we give out small pieces of bread and small cups of juice that represent Jesus' body and his blood. We invite all who call Jesus Lord to participate.
Q & A +
Q: WHEN IS YOU SUNDAY SERVICE?
A: Worship services are Sunday mornings at 10:30 am. The service usually ends between 11:45 am and 12:00 noon. We also encourage you to check out our great 9:15 am activities for children, students and adults.
Q: WHERE CAN I PARK?
A: There is parking on the north, east and south sides of our building. Some people park on the street as well. There is a ramp on the east side of our building where people can be dropped off. This ramp is at the same level as the sanctuary.
Q: WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
A: In general, we are pretty relaxed at South. People wear a wide variety of clothes and styles. You will feel comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt just as well as dress clothes. We encourage you not to worry about it.
Q: HOW WILL I KNOW WHERE TO GO ONCE I'M INSIDE?
A: Our team of greeters are ready to help guide you! These friendly people will be there to greet you at most of the main entrances to the building. There is also a Welcome Center located near our west (ramp) entrance. There you can find out more details about Sunday morning activities and South Meridian in general. (You can always call the church office with questions and concerns).
Q: WHAT IS OFFERED ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN DURING THE WORSHIP SERVICE?
A: There is a nursery available for children ages birth to three. All other children come to the first half of the worship service. Children from age four through second grade are dismissed about halfway through the service to attend "Our Father's House," a time of worship geared for children with singing, Bible stories and other fun activities. Crayons and coloring pages are available near the entryways of our sanctuary for young children.
Q: WILL I BE WELCOME?
A: Absolutely! We invite you to come and be a part of our family. There is no special membership to join at South. There is nothing you have to believe to become a part of South Meridian. You may have serious doubts and questions about God and faith. You are welcome here! We believe that we are all on a spiritual journey, and God is continually calling us inward toward himself in Jesus. We all progress at our own rate as we deal with all kinds of issues. We all have a lot to learn about God and a lot to learn from each other. Wherever you are on your journey toward God, we strive to treat you with dignity and respect, just as God treats each of us.
Q: DO I HAVE TO GET INVOLVED?
A: That is entirely up to you. We try to treat our guests as we would like to be treated ourselves. That means you can remain anonymous and watch, if that makes you comfortable. Or you can get involved, if that is what you choose to do.